Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Dreaded Double Day (part 2)

     Playing white against Polish Igor Janik, I had two minutes left and an important decision to make. Take the draw with a repetition, or press and risk losing. I had had a slight advantage from the opening, but messed up in time pressure to lose it. I then made the wrong, dumb decision of playing on. I got a down-a-pawn rook endgame which should have been holdable, but after wasting two inaccurate moves, I was much worse, and probably lost.
     In the sixth round, I had the misfortune of playing the US player, Brandon Nydick. I had black and in fact, the opening was the same as the one in the morning. It was the line that I play against the King's Indian and this time, I was on the opposite side. My opponent didn't seem to know the opening well, hesitating with some move order switches that I threw in. He made two inaccuracies and allowed me to get a giant queenside attack on his king. After this, he was probably lost.
     On the rest day, Rayan Taghizadeh, Craig Hilby, and I all went to the gym, like usual, before breakfast. After that, we went to play soccer outside. It wasn't a good idea on account of our full stomachs. However, the interesting part is that some South Africans joined us. Eventually, we had a whole group of boys dressed in traditional costumes playing, and we had no idea who is going which way! My dad and I went to the beach and I got some good pictures of the waves attacking him! Tomorrow, with 4/6, I will be playing white against Alisher Suleymenov, a 2100 from Kazakhstan, on board 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment