Monday, September 22, 2014

First Loss...

     My Armenian opponent, Haik Martirosyan, was a strong, solid player. He has a similar style to me, but with more experience. In a Nimzo Indian, my opponent played a weird move order, which allowed me to plant a knight on d6. I felt I was better even after he traded knights, and after a long combination, I knew my position was good. My pieces were active and his were cramped, but he had some chances with his queenside pawns. I made a mistake, allowing him to trade rooks, but if I had kept them on the board, I would have been better. The following endgame was still equal, but I blundered a combination. He put his knight on a1 (the corner) and it consolidated his position. He was able to win soon after. I would have pushed on anyway, but I feel that I played the endgame too fast.
      3/4 is not bad, but I need to do well tomorrow to stay in contention. It is another tough double day tomorrow, and my morning round is against Igor Janik from Poland. There are only four perfect and three with three and a half so anybody can catch up. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment