Thursday, September 25, 2014

Seventh Round

     With the white pieces against Alisher Suleymenov from Kazakhstan, I was expected a Benko Gambit since that is what my opponent had played last, but I had also prepped for Grunfeld. Since there were no games in the database with me playing either of those openings, I assumed that I would be better prepared than my opponent. He played the Grunfeld, but was soon thinking for a long time about the way to play. I built up a huge time advantage; my opponent was down to 23 minutes by move 15. I sacrificed a pawn in the opening, but got a crushing center. I won the pawn back and another. I made a few moves to test him with some tactics, but then went for a positional plan. He came up with a tactical shot that didn't work so well after some solid moves, but we traded queens right before time control. I had an easily winning endgame, but my opponent took a lot of time, leading to a finish at around 8:20. Tomorrow, I have black on board 7 against another Kazakh player, 2151-rated Zhandos Agmanov.

No comments:

Post a Comment