Sunday, September 21, 2014

(Not-So) Dreaded Double Day (Part 1)

     In the second round, I played against Paulius Pultinevicius from Lithuania. I got an even position out of the opening, which is not what I wanted, but it wasn't terrible. I made a pawn break to open up the position, and then retreated my queen. At this point, I was worried as I thought that if my opponent played properly, I would have to take a draw, but, luckily, he didn't see a tactical sequence that allowed me to win an exchange. After that, I had a few scares in the endgame, but it was relatively simple to convert.
     In the third round, I was on the top 10 DGT boards. These are nice wooden boards that broadcast the games to the WYCC website at this link: http://www.2014wycc.co.za/open-14.html . I played against Adham Kandil, an Egyptian. In the Slovenia World Youth, I was upset in the second round by Adham Fawzy, also an Egyptian. I am not sure if they are brothers, but this seemed like Déjà vu so I was extra careful in the game. On a side note, Adham Fawzy upset the top seed in the second round. : ) In the game, my opponent played the dangerous Alekhine-Chatard Attack. I took the gambited pawn, but eventually gave it back for queenside play. When I had consolidated my position, I came back and took open files on the kingside. Soon after, my opponent opened dangerous weaknesses on the queenside, and I came back to attack there. He was lost and played a move which allowed me to win a piece. After that, it was an easy conversion.
     I now have 3/3. I am playing white on board 4 against a 2330, Haik Martirosyan. I need to do well this round to have a better result than Dubai. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment