Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

          How great is it that we get to play on Christmas Eve? We get to wake up in the morning and play a game. Then we get to spend Christmas without a tree! Note the sarcasm. ;) I got up really early and prepped for my opponent. He had beaten another strong USA player earlier in the tournament, so I knew I needed to be careful. After some quick opening prep, we went to the game.
          My opponent was Adi Sagita Catur from Indonesia. After achieving equality easily, I decided to take a chance to get complicated equality or get a better position. He did not see the former option and I was able to win a pawn. Then I used a tactic in the endgame to win a piece. The funny thing is that he resigned after I made a mistake that makes it harder for me to win.
          After that, we had a lot of free time so a lot of us played blitz near the cafeteria to practice. Colin Chow, Albert Lu, Marcell Szabo, Siddharth Banik, and I played along with some people from other countries. Later, we went to the blitz tournament. It was supposed to be seven rounds in about two hours, but with the WYCC, you never know. It took an hour to start the second round. There after, the pattern continued. It took about four hours to finish five rounds. Then they moved the next two to the last day of the tournament. I scored 3.5/5, losing to Francesco Rambaldi and drawing with a Sri Lankan with a really long name. Tomorrow is rest day and we are going to Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you bounce back with two wins after castling long (0-0-0). Instead of a tree, what about a cactus? Ho! Ho! Ho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey don;t say anything about Sri Lankans Vignesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    because I'm a Sri Lanakan.We don't have long names and that is our initials meanings.Your opponent was D.G.M.S Doluweera but his name was put in the pairings in with long names without the initials(Doluwarawattage Gamage Minul Sanjula Doluweera) 1858.Do not shame to our names.Your name was V.Panchanantham but in that pairing it was Vignesh Panchanatham

    ReplyDelete