Monday, December 16, 2013

East Bay Open

           Last weekend, I played in the East Bay Open. It was a great tournament, very-well organized, except for one mishap in my last game. It was in Concord so my parents had to drive me an hour each way every day. On Friday, the round was at 7, but we only left at 5:30 so when we started driving into traffic, it wasn't pretty. Eventually, my dad said "Enough!" He was tired of moving like tar on the jammed highway. My dad called the TD and asked him to change me to the two day section so that I could still play.
          The next day, we woke up extra early so that we could make it to the game on time. I was paired with Uyanga Byambaa. After an interesting opening, I started attacking. She had to give up some pawns and then, I trapped her bishop and then the game came later.
          The second round was against Ricardo de Guzman. I have played Ricardo, I think, in every one of my last four tournaments. I was black and I had a decent position, but I messed up the middle-game and had to go into a slightly worse endgame. I couldn't hold so I lost.
          My third round was against Joshua Cao. I was black and out of the opening, I forgot theory and messed up. However, I got an okay position before my opponent blundered mate in one. The look on Joshua's face was pretty funny after that.
          In the fourth round, I was playing Ronald Cusi as black. It started out boring, but then we went into complications. I gave up a bishop for a knight, but my remaining knight was very strong. I won a pawn and then sacked my rook for a bishop. My queen then took control of the light squares and I was able to invade. After that, the game fell into my hands.
         Have you all seen the mistake yet? I had three blacks in a row. In the last round, both me and my opponent had two blacks in the previous two rounds so we were supposed to both get white. However, we were both late so the TD didn't notice until I pointed it out. Eventually we used the pick-a-pawn method and I got black. No complaints here though!
        I crossed 2300 after this game so I am supposed to get a Smartphone after we come back from the WYCC. After the fourth round, I had a bye for a piano recital. It went well and afterwards, we went on train rides.

1 comment: